ABOUT REPRESENTATIVE KAREN FANN
Representative Karen Fann (AZ-District 1) is a lifelong Republican, raised on conservative rural values by her hardworking parents, Jim and Sylvia Fann. She moved with her family to Prescott in 1958 at the age of four.
Growing up in a family with a strong work ethic made it natural for Karen to start her own business. Karen launched Arizona Highway Safety Specialists, Inc. in 1984 - with just $500 of her own cash. Her drive and determination to succeed has turned today’s AHSS into Arizona’s largest installer of roadway guardrails and signage. Owner and CEO Karen now employs 40 at her thriving business, and AHSS celebrated its 27th Anniversary in 2012 .
Karen and husband Jim McKown also owned and operated the FANN-M Ranch for nearly a decade. The FANN-M Ranch, an equine facility, boarded horses and produced equine competitions. Karen and Jim also and worked closely with area 4-H Clubs and other nonprofits to organize and sponsor community fundraisers at the Ranch.
Prior to becoming a local business owner, Karen gained four years of experience in the legal field and ten in the airport/ airline industry; she later obtained her license as an Arizona Realtor. She is a licensed contractor in good standing with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors; past president of Yavapai County Contractors Association; and past president, Prescott Chapter, of the National Association of Women in Construction.
Her dedication to community led Karen to serve on numerous committees and boards, representing Central Arizona, as well as, the Town of Chino Valley, where she was Mayor for six years. Her four years of service on the Prescott City Council included Mayor Pro Tem.
Experience: Professional & Civil Service Highlights
- House of Representatives, Legislator District 1
- 13 years Public Service - Prescott City Council & Chino Valley Mayor
- Area small business owner for 25 years
- Chair, Upper Verde River Watershed Protection Coalition
- Chair, Central Yavapai Metropolitan Planning Organization (CYMPO)
- Northern Council of Government (8 years)
- BQAZ Statewide Transportation Board
- Governor’s Rural Water Legislative Study Committee
- Governor’s Commission on Non-Traditional Employment for Women
- President, Yavapai County Contractors Association
Awards & Honors:
- Legislator of the Year Sentinel Award recipient Greater Phoenix Chamber
- 2012 Arizona Manufacturers Council/Arizona Chamber of Commerce
- Legislator of the Year by AZ SWANA
- Legislator of the Year by AZ Chapter Associated General Contractors