ABOUT REPRESENTATIVE KAREN FANN
Representative Karen Fann (AZ-District 1) is a lifelong Republican, raised on conservative rural values by her hardworking parents, Jim and Sylvia Fann. She moved with her family to Prescott in 1958 at the age of four.
Growing up in a family with a strong work ethic made it natural for Karen to start her own business. Karen launched Arizona Highway Safety Specialists, Inc.(AHSS) in 1984 - with just $500 of her own cash. Her drive and determination to succeed has turned today’s Arizona Highway Safety Specialists into Arizona’s largest installer of roadway guardrails and signage. Owner and CEO Karen now employs 40 at her thriving business, and AHSS celebrates its 30th Anniversary in 2014.
Karen and husband Jim McKown also owned and operated the FANN-M Ranch for nearly a decade. The FANN-M Ranch, an equine facility, boarded horses and produced equine competitions. Karen and Jim also and worked closely with area 4-H Clubs and other nonprofits to organize and sponsor community fundraisers at the Ranch.
Prior to becoming a local business owner, Karen gained four years of experience in the legal field and ten in the airport/ airline industry; she later obtained her license as an Arizona Realtor. She is a licensed contractor in good standing with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors; past president of Yavapai County Contractors Association; and past president, Prescott Chapter, of the National Association of Women in Construction.
Her dedication to community led Karen to serve on numerous committees and boards, representing Central Arizona, as well as, the Town of Chino Valley, where she was Mayor for six years. Her four years of service on the Prescott City Council included Mayor Pro Tem.
Experience: Professional & Civil Service Highlights
- 15 years Public Service - House of Representatives, Chino Valley Mayor & Prescott City Council
- Area small business owner for 30 years
- Chair ~ State House Transportation Committee
- Vice Chair ~ Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
- Agriculture & Water Committee
Awards & Honors:
- Leader of the Year Public Policy ~ AZ Capitol Times
- Woman of the Year ~ AZ Rock Products Association
- Legislator of the Year ~ASIA
- Hero of the Taxpayor~ Americans for Prosperity
- Legislative Award ~ Union Pacific Railroad
- Friend of the Family ~ AZ Family Project
- MADD Arizona Legislator of the Year
- Legislative Hero Award ~AZ League of Cities and Towns
- Golden Apple Award ~ AZ Parents for Education
- Legislator of the Year ~ AZ Chamber of Commerce/AZ Manufacturing Council